During rainy days, people of Ahmedabad will first think of relishing Dalwada at Ambika during this time. Yes, this food joint was started by Shantibhai Chandel who used to work at lorry and slept at bus stand & Footpath number of years. The cost of 100 gms dalwada was 30 Paise in early years when he started ambika dalwada. He used to buy 250 grams of flour to prepare and sell dalwada. After selling for 21 years on roadside, he bought one shop at Navrangpura in 1994. He is now owner of 2 branches in Ahmedabad & sells almost 1000 Kgs of Dalwada every day. He provides employment to more than 60 employees.
This crispy from outside and soft & spongy inside hot dalwada is made from green lentils & spices. Usually accompanied with diced onions and friend green chilli. Oil is never used next day…which gives great taste.
You will compulsorily have to wait for atleast 15-20 minutes during normal day and sometimes 30-45 minutes during monsoon days. So be prepared to wait for this yummy dalwada.
Cleanliness is eyecatching.
Recipe of Dalwada
Serving Size: 4
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 4 cup Moong dal
- Oil for frying
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Green chili paste
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice (optional)
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Baking soda or Fruit Salt
- Water according to requirement
- Soak moong dal for 1-2 hour.
- Drain water from it.
- Add water and salt in dal.
- Grind it coarsely in a mixture jar.
- Add baking soda, chili paste, lemon juice, coriander leaves and ginger paste.
- Mix it properly.
- Batter should be thick.
- Heat oil in a pan at medium flame.
- Put wada in oil with finger or spoon.
- Fry wada till it becomes crispy and light golden in color.
- Serve hot with fried chili and onions.
Apart from Ambica Dalwada, you may also like to taste other famous joints of Ahmedabad serving Delicious Dalwada at Anand Dalwada, New Gujarat Dalwada & Khada na Dalwada all equally famous and serves great quality.