If you are living at Ahmedabad & have not relished your taste buds with mouth watering Jalebi at Lucknow Chavana & Sweet Mart, Ahmedabad you should do it now.
Situated in Old city of Ahmedabad near Raipur Darwaja, it was started by Late shri Devishankar Varma who excelled in Jalebi Making & came to Ahmedabad for better opportunity 75 years ago. Since then Lucknow Jalebi is a must stop for sweet loving souls of Ahmedabad.
At Lucknow Chavana & Sweet Mart, you can witness the white concentric circles of jalebi being swelled by the boiling ghee and turning their complexion to pale yellow and then to golden brown shade. Deep fried jalebi are then transferred to container filled with sugar syrup. After soaking in sugar syrup for a minute or two, the cook starts to take them out one by one for serving to customers always waiting in line.
Jalebis are normally made from Maida flour all over India. However, Jalebi recipe here is altogether different. Here they make Jalebis from Urad flour (Black Lentils) which makes it more nutritious and healthy. Urad dal is one of the richest sources of proteins and Vitamin B. Urad dal is also good for women as it has iron, folic acid, Calcium, magnesium, potassium which makes it a healthy pulse. Urad Dal is rich source of protein which is much required by the body for vegetarians.
A minute later, the cook starts to take them out one by one, delicately tilting the ladle so that the extra syrup drips down. As you sink your teeth into the piping hot jalebi, its crisp surface breaks open to release gooey sweetness. There is so much juice inside that if not careful; it starts dripping from your lips. Your fingers get sticky. So be careful.
It is now managed by Mr. Bharat Varma very friendly to customers. He overwhelmingly suggests enjoying Jalebi with Ratlami Sev. I find Lucknow Jalebi really delicious, hygienic & healthy drawing in hundreds and thousands of people from all over the city, the shop is always busy, so better get in there fast. A kilo of this divine dish is reasonably priced for you at only Rs.180/-.
It was believed that Lord Ram loved jalebis (called shashkouli then) and since Dussehra is celebrated in respect to Lord Ram’s win over the evil Ravana – people devour these delectable twirls of fried, sugary goodness on this day. Hot milk with Jalebi is also stocked at first night of newly married couple due to its energy enhancing properties. Scientifically speaking, it is believed that hot jalebis dunked in milk are a sure shot remedy for migraines. Jalebi has recently been in the news for being one of the most fattening sweet however, as a last minute resort, jalebi releases certain chemicals in our body that reduce the risk of migraine attacks.
Where : Lucknow Chavana & Sweet Mart, Near Parsi Agiyari Bus Stand, Great Outside Raipur Darwaja, Kankaria Road, Ahmedabad.
Tel Nos : 079-25467141 Timings : 07:30 AM to 08:30 PM
Highlights : Take Away only. Standing table for walk by eating available. Seating Not Available. 100% Veg
Social Responsibility : Lucknow Chavana responsibly maintains cleanliness and supports Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
Jalebi Recipe : Exotic Sweet of India
Here is a authentic traditional Jalebi Recipe :
Preparation Time : 2 Hours Cooking Time : 30 Mins. Serves : 2 persons.
Ingredients for Jalebi Recipe:
1 cup Urad dal
1 1/2 cup Sugar
Ghee/Oil For frying
1 tsp Elaichi powder
a pinch turmeric for giving golden color
Instructions for Making Jalebi Recipe:
- Take 10 times water i.e. 10 cups in a container. Soak Urad dal in water for at least 2 hrs. Wash and drain the water and grind in a wet mixture using very little water. The batter should be like the wada batter.
- Prepare the sugar syrup by boiling the sugar with 4 cups of water. Boil till the sugar syrup gains one string consistency. ( take one drop of syrup on your finger & press & withdraw with your fingers. It should form one string between your thumb and finger. Add few drops of lemon to the syrup to prevent crystallizing.
- Add the turmeric powder and the elaichi powder and mix.
- Heat Ghee/Oil in a flat bottomed pan.
- Take a zip lock bag and fill it with the batter. Make a Pencil Size hole in it.
- Now slowly squeeze the bag while moving in circles in the heated ghee/Oil. Fry till it becomes cryspy & attains golden color.
- Now dunk the hot Jalebi in warm sugar syrup for 10 mins. Remove on a plate and serve.
Try above Jalebi Recipe at home and serve this delicious Exotic sweet of India to your loved ones.